Tuesday 15 April 2014

Story 28: Mulling over another challenge

I'm fair enjoying this cycling-on-the-spot malarky. I mean, it's not the same as getting out and about on the bike but there's a lot to like about sitting on the saddle in my living room - or in my garden - and going nowhere!



'Why not just get on your bike and go for a cycle on the roads or paths?', you might ask. Well, I would definitely rather do that, but I'm not really up for going cycles on my own (I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't bothered to learn how to change an inner tube...) so - until I get off my ass and learn how to sort a puncture - the turbo trainer's going to be ideal for those occasions when Alex isn't free for a ride, or when the weather's rubbish, or when my hand is still sore from a wee fall and I can't work the brakes properly... (see last post!)

I've not spent more than an hour on the trainer yet, but I'm still mulling over the idea of having a go at cycling 100km on it during Scribbler's Picnic (a music festival in Stirling that raises heaps of money for our local hospice and other cancer charities). One of  my fellow Night Riders did it, sitting outside her local bike shop, last weekend to boost her fundraising - though, she's a much fitter and more experienced cyclist than me - and I just found it so inspiring!

Lots of people, whose advice I value, have told me that I'm nuts to try it.

And that sounds like just about as good a reason to try it as any...

No comments:

Post a Comment