Tuesday 8 April 2014

Story 26: Cycling on the spot

I've got this cycling event coming up soon, the 100km Women V Cancer Ride the Night in London, in 54 days time. Since registering for it, at the end of last year, I've been out on my bike, em, four times. I've put loads of effort into raising funds for Women V Cancer (I've even written a little book!) and I've put a lot of effort into trying to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of cancer. But, I've only been out on my bike four times. And the longest cycle was 22 miles. Oh dear.

So today I sprang into action! Spurred on by an invitation to perform at an Eve of Festival music concert (reciting rhymes from my wee book between bands..) which preceded the decision to host a stall at said Festival itself (the infamous 'Scribbler's Picnic' - Stirling's answer to T in the Park...) where I'm considering setting up one of these bike stand thingys and pedalling 100km while I pedal my book, I got on my bike and went for a cycle! 

And I didn't move an inch from my lounge floor.

Kenny, my friendly local bike shop owner, has given me a loan of one of these bike stand thingys (I think 'turbo trainer' is its proper name but I didn't feel very turbo-propelled...) so that I have no excuse not to get on my bike and train. He thinks I'm mad for even thinking about trying to cycle the 100km on a bike stand while the Picnic's on. But I'm tempted! 

I'll give it some thought over the next week or so while I'm cycling on the spot (and hopefully getting outside for a whirl too) before deciding whether my butt (never mind my legs and lungs) could manage it.

But, I have to say, there's just something really tempting about the idea of a possible not-so-serious story of a static cyclist's exploits at Scribblers...!



2 comments: