Sunday 18 May 2014

Story 31: Mostly loving my longest ride

I managed my longest, and toughest, cycle to date today. Aw man, I absolutely loved it!

Well, actually, I didn't love it all the time... I swore my way up some of the hills, and I didn't like the taste of the extra protein provided by the flies, and I was frightened by some of the cars and lorries and buses who made me wobble when they overtook me too fast and too close...

But most of the time I really did love it...the sense of achievement when I managed to cycle all the way up some really steep or never-ending hills, the thrill of whizzing down the other side of said really steep or never-ending hills, the views, the not having a sore ass (thanks to Alex's time and patience helping me find the perfect saddle position and handlebar height last night when most normal folk would either be out enjoying themselves or sitting in front of Saturday night telly...), the best hot chocolate I've EVER tasted (in The Cocoa Mountain, Auchterarder), the camaraderie with other cyclists en route, the chit chat and laughs with Alex and the ice cold beer at the end of our 53 miles...yup, I absolutely loved it.

It's only two weeks now till the Women V Cancer 100km (62 miles) Ride the Night in London and, after today's cycle, I'm feeling much more confident about being able to manage it. This time last year I hadn't really been on a bike much since my kids were little and I never would've thought that I'd manage a fairly long ride.

I don't think I'll ever consider myself to be a serious cyclist, but I seriously do love getting on my bike. Especially when one of the stops involves a very yummy hot chocolate...

(For anyone who's interested, you can see today's cycle in more detail on my Map My Ride page)









No comments:

Post a Comment