Thursday 7 January 2016

Morning Gymnastics in a cooler climate

I've mentioned in previous posts a place called Club La Santa. It's a holiday come sports resort in Lanzarote and our family fell in love with both the resort and the island when we first went there in 2006. I can't relate to the 'Lanza-grotty' reputation that this beautiful little island seems to hold for some. La Santa sits on the north coast and its surrounding volcanic landscape, crashing waves, sandy beaches, rocky outcrops, hills, sunsets, sunrises, little villages, local people, sea-food and, of course, the plethora of sports in the resort itself are just some of the many reasons why we love it.






One of the staples of La Santa Sport is 'Morning Gymnastics'. The name's a wee bit misleading as it's really just a dynamic stretch routine, and you definitely don't have to be an inspiring Olga Korbut to take part!  Every day, guests at La Santa gather by the pool at 8am and follow the same 15 minute routine set to the exact same music that they've been using for the past 30 odd years!

Now, some may think it a bit sad, but sometimes I do Morning Gym at home. I only had to download the music (from an old video of the routine I found on Youtube) as I know the moves off by heart. Over the years, I've gone through phases of doing it in our living room religiously every morning to not doing it at all.

But, now that I'm training for Tanzania, I intend doing Morning Gym every morning. OK, that won't happen. Now that I'm training for Tanzania I intend doing Morning Gym as often as possible. It's a great way to stretch everything out and a great way to start the day. Especially when another member of the Milne clan joins in, as sometimes happens!

Some days, like today, it might be the only training that I do. But something's better than nothing - even if that means playing to the same tune every single morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment