Monday 4 January 2016

Kicking off by balancing and spinning

Along with all the hunners of other folk who start off the new year with great intentions, I took out a 'special deal' on a short-term membership with our local sports centre. I'm still on holiday from work so, to make sure I get my money's worth before the novelty wears off, I went along to two classes this morning.

The last time I was at a 'Body Balance' class was only a few weeks ago - under the heat of the sun, with the waves crashing in the background - in our beloved Club La Santa sports resort in Lanzarote. Today's class was just a tad different - under the glare of the strip lights with the air conditioning buzzing in the background - but I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same. I'm not supposed to do any high impact exercise, so I have to settle for the more placid stretchy sort of class. However, I did still work up a good sweat this morning - even though no burpees, turnsteps or jumping-jacks were involved!

Immediately after having my body balanced, Alex joined me for a 'Velocity Light' spin class. Now, I've only every been to one spin class before and I didn't really like it. I couldn't hear the instructor, I couldn't get to grips with the gear lever and I couldn't keep up with the rest of the class! But, I shouldn't have let one unfortunate experience colour my opinion and I'm glad that I gave spin another go today! I loved the class - a good teacher, loud music but a louder microphone, and a much better grasp of how to get the most out of the spin bike. For me, it doesn't come close to cycling outside, but I'm very much a fair weather cyclist and classes like this should add a wee bit of variety to the monotony of sitting on my turbo trainer at home watching the telly!

So, there we go, the training's kick-started. I guess I should really think about doing the same with a nutrition plan...but there are still a fair few Christmas sweeties in the cupboard to be demolished...yup, one step at a time me-thinks. Don't want to be taking things too seriously after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment