Monday 9 June 2014

Story 34: From Arran to Africa...

Last July Alex talked me into going for a wee cycle in Arran. We ended up cycling 53 miles in two days all the way round the island, and I ended up hooked on not-so-serious cycling. 

After that, and following some lovely rides through the summer, I managed to raise some money for the STV Appeal by cycling 47 miles from Glasgow to Edinburgh in the Pedal for Scotland event. 

I enjoyed it so much that I immediately looked for another challenge, which came in the form of Women V Cancer Ride the Night, and last week managed to cycle 62 miles through the night from Windsor to London and back to Windsor again. 

I loved the whole experience so much that I've already signed up to do it again next year - but it won't be as much of a challenge next time around as I'll already have cycled the distance. I am, however, passionate about the Women V Cancer organisation and definitely want to continue supporting them.

So, I've signed up for another challenge. In October 2015 I'm aiming to cycle 220 miles across a mixture of dirt tracks and tarmac, starting in the shadow of Mount Kilimanjaro and finishing at the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania. I'll be raising funds again for Women V Cancer, sharing the experience with some incredible women, and hoping to see some lions and giraffes and elephants along the way! It's a serious challenge, but I'm seriously up for it. (Well, as seriously as a not-so-serious cyclist can be).

From Arran to Africa - who would've thought...?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment