Saturday 30 April 2016

Limericks based on a local not-so-serious cyclist

Last year, in March 2015, I was invited to speak at one of our local Women's Institute meetings (or 'The Rural' as it's still defiantly and fondly referred to locally).

I had a thoroughly lovely evening, reciting some of my 'One Woman's Verses vs Cancer' rhymes, then facilitating a lively - and often poignant - discussion around some of the cancers which most affect women.



At the end of the evening, the committee asked if I would come back to speak in January 2016, following my Cycle Africa adventure. We set a date and the Rural were expecting me along with stories and snaps and Tanzanian tales...

Oooops!! I completely forgot to let them know - until about 2 weeks before the meeting - that I'd had to pull out of the challenge last October (ironically because of some work I was doing with Breast Cancer Care) and defer my place to this June.

With my tail between my legs, I promised to return and deliver a talk after Cycle Africa June 2016. But, in the meantime, I left the committee having to find a speaker to fill my slot at fairly short notice. Not my finest moment!

So, I was absolutely tickled pink to read recently in our local rag that during the January meeting of the Rural there had been a competition set to write a limerick with the first line being:

"There was a cyclist called Jane'!

I've since discovered that the intention was I would judge the entries - poems all based on my cycling exploits - after my talk about Tanzania. Tsk!! I feel terrible that I wasn't there to do that - and to personally thank every one of the women who took the time to write a wee poem about little old me!

So, this is my public apology - and my heartfelt thanks - to the fantastic ladies from Gargunnock WRI. I loved the limericks, and I'd have struggled to pick a winner! It's maybe just as well that someone else was there to do it for you...!

I'm delighted that I've been invited back again to speak about my Cycle Africa June 2016 experience. This time ladies, I promise - come lions or punctures or broken chains - I'll be there....

A few of the winning entries:

There was a cyclist called Jane
Who when jogging was always in pain
So she took to her bike
And everything felt right
And was never seen jogging again!
(I love this one as it totally sums up my actual experience of feeling so sad at having to give up running due to some health issues, then discovering a passion for cycling - brilliant!)

There was a cyclist called Jane
Who hit a pot-hole in Kirk Lane
And, boy, does she cuss it
Cos the seat pierced her gusset
So she'll never sit comfortably again!
(Haha - those bloody pot-holes!!)

There was a cyclist called Jane
Caught speeding along in the rain
Her water was tested
And she got arrested
Cos her bottle was full of champagne!
(Hahaha, this is great - they know me so well in my village...)

2 comments:

  1. love the limericks they are great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just caught sight of your comment here Diana! Apologies - and thank you :) I think they're great too, was so touched by the effort the ladies had gone to!

      Delete