Saturday 13 June 2015

More of the unusual

I'm a fair weather cyclist, usually. I don't venture out on my bike when it's raining or windy, usually. But this has been a week for me doing unusual things (cycling on my own, then cycling with someone who wasn't Alex) so I continued the trend today by venturing out with Alex for a 13 mile cycle in the rain.

As is often the case when we're heading out for a cycle on an unknown route, I wasn't sure whether to take the road bike or hybrid, but after a few rides on the hybrid recently I was itching for a wee shot back on my road bike. Decision made, we drove into Stirling and set off from Whins of Milton out New Line Road, past North Third reservoir and up the hill a bit (two years on and I'm still not great with my route descriptions!) This would be a very scenic route in the sunshine...as it was, it was a bit dreary...


...but we did manage to keep smiling all the same...


Most of the time we were fine on the road bikes, but I think the next time I would use my old hybrid. The gravel on the wet roads was a bit dodgy on the downhills, and the bumps and holes were a bit uncomfy all the way (apart from the few stretches of new tarmac - bliss!) However, nothing spoiled the fun and, apart from Alex really feeling the cold on the way back, we had another great ride.

I'm really pleased with my training this week; a fair few miles and trying a few things that are a bit unusual for me. Hopefully all standing me in good stead for Africa where, I'm sure, I'm going to be experiencing plenty of things that are just a tad unusual...

Click here for the map my ride profile of today's cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment